Saima Wazed presses WHO for probe into placing her on indefinite leave: report
Staff Correspondent
Saima Wazed, daughter of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, has sought an independent investigation into the World Health Organization’s decision to place her on indefinite leave, according to media reports.
Saima, who became WHO regional director for South-East Asia in February 2024, has repeatedly raised the issue with WHO and Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus over the past eight months, The Indian Express reported.
She sought transparency over the decision, the report said.
Her latest communication, sent through legal representatives last month, warned of possible legal action, it added.
WHO reportedly placed Saima on indefinite leave on Jul 11, 2025, pending an inquiry, four months after the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) pressed charges of corruption, fraud and abuse of power against her.
Hasina, who has been living in India since leaving Bangladesh on Aug 5, 2024 amid the July Uprising, has since been sentenced to death over the violent suppression of the student-led protests.
According to the Indian English-language daily, Saima has alleged that the decision was taken at the behest of the interim government, led by Muhammad Yunus, while overlooking due process.
She has also reportedly questioned whether a formal inquiry is under way and accused WHO of bias and harassment.
The report said WHO has acknowledged some of her emails but has yet to clarify whether any review of the complaints is continuing.
Saima has also raised concerns over WHO’s alleged dealings with the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) and officials of the then interim government, saying such contacts breached due process and diplomatic communication protocols, The Indian Express reported.
She has also alleged that facts were misrepresented to member states, including India, which voted for her election, it added.
The Indian Express said it learnt that India raised the matter with WHO through appropriate channels, though it has made no official comment.
When contacted by The Indian Express, Saima declined to comment.
WHO confirmed in an email that Saima “remains on leave”.
“There are established channels for staff members who wish to raise complaints of the nature of those referred to in the questions… However, we do not comment on specific cases, where we have a duty to maintain confidentiality,” it said, according to the report.
Saima assumed office on Feb 1, 2024, for a five-year term, becoming the first Bangladeshi and second woman to hold the post. She received eight of 10 votes, including India’s.
The regional director position has not been declared vacant, meaning Saima remains the elected office-holder, The Indian Express reported.
Comment / Reply From
You May Also Like
Latest News
Vote / Poll
ফিলিস্তিনের গাজায় ইসরায়েলি বাহিনীর নির্বিচার হামলা বন্ধ করতে জাতিসংঘসহ আন্তর্জাতিক সম্প্রদায়ের উদ্যোগ যথেষ্ট বলে মনে করেন কি?

