
Dhaka’s bus services with rest of the country suspended
Staff Correspondent
Bus services between Dhaka and the rest of the country remains suspended since Thursday morning following the ‘complete shutdown’ enforced by protesting students.
Staff members at different bus counters in Dhaka's Gabtoli and Sayedabad Bus Terminal told journalists that bus owners have asked them not to run any buses on the roads.
Some staff members in bus counters also said that they are ready, on their part, to resume bus services.
Meanwhile, Firing teargas and rubber bullets riot police clashed with quota-reform protesters in different parts of the capital city in the first hours of Thursday at the start of a nationwide complete shutdown.
Riot police fought pitched battles with the protesters in Badda, Merul, Uttara, Dhamandi, Motijheel and Arambagh. Police used teargas shells and rubber bullets. Cocktails --home-made bombs-- rocked different parts of the city. The clashes also spread in the alleys of the residential areas causing panic among residents, eyewitnesses said.
Private BRAC university at Badda and its surrounding areas turned into battle fields as students, including from schools took to the streets defying heavy presence of police and Border Guards of Bangladesh personnel. The government has deployed 229 BGB platoons to maintain law and order during the shutdown.
No casualties have so far been reported during the first few hours of violence on Thursday. But an 18-year-old boy was reportedly killed in clashes at Jatrabari on Wednesday night raising the death toll from ongoing quota protests to seven. Hundreds have been injured in the first few days of clashes.
Clashes between protesters, many carrying sticks, and riot police occurred at Uttara, where dozens of colleges and schools are located.
During the shutdown the capital city's usual chaotic traffic was absent with a few BRTC double-decker buses opening on almost empty streets. Rickshaws ruled the streets in absence of public transports as commuters were seen walking to the destinations or standing on bus stations in the hope of catching a transport.
The students called for the shutdown, shortly after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a televised speech on Wednesday evening called for restraint and urged the protesters to wait patiently until the Supreme Court verdict is delivered on the quota issue.
Comment / Reply From
You May Also Like
Latest News
Vote / Poll
ফিলিস্তিনের গাজায় ইসরায়েলি বাহিনীর নির্বিচার হামলা বন্ধ করতে জাতিসংঘসহ আন্তর্জাতিক সম্প্রদায়ের উদ্যোগ যথেষ্ট বলে মনে করেন কি?